You are here

Written by Adam Miller
The Top Causes of House Fires and How to Prevent Them

Of the many things that can jeopardize the safety and security of a home, few can cause the amount of damage and loss like a house fire. According to the National Fire Prevention Association, the average homeowners claim for fire damage is over $79,000, with house fires causing over $8 billion a year in damages across the country. Because of their destructive nature, homeowners should take every precaution possible to prevent house fires and eliminate the risk of damages and injuries. Today's Aegis blog post discusses some of top causes of house fires and how they can be prevented.

Kitchen Fires

The primary cause of house fires is kitchen accidents or fires caused during cooking. In fact, nearly half of all house fires start in the kitchen, where unattended cooktops or kitchen accidents can lead to fast-spreading fires that can destroy parts of the home and cause injuries or even deaths. To help prevent kitchen fires, homeowners and renters should never leave cooking food unattended, or leave grease or other flammable liquids on the heat too long. Also, every homeowner should make sure they have a working fire extinguisher in their kitchen in the event of a fire.

Candles and Fireplaces

Another common cause of house fires is candles and fireplaces, particularly when left unattended or with flammable materials nearby. Often candles are lit or fireplaces ignited without consideration of papers or fabric nearby, and a simple spark can lead to devastating damages and losses. Before lighting candles, it's important to make sure they are not located near children or that they're not left burning while the house is unoccupied. In addition, the area surrounding fireplaces should be cleared of papers, fabrics, blankets, or other flammable materials.

Electrical Issues

Finally, homeowners should be aware of risks that can come with older homes that utilize outdated electrical wiring, or using home décor with old or frayed wiring, such as lamps and appliances. Old wiring can cause electrical fires, so homeowners should consider upgrading electrical wiring wherever possible, whether it's on an antique lamp, older holiday lighting, or older appliances or electrical gadgets.

House fires can be devastating events for individuals and families, so homeowners and renters should make sure they're doing their part to make their home as safe as possible, especially during the colder winter months when they're more likely to use candles and fireplaces, or cook and bake for extended periods of time. Aegis Insurance & Financial Services can also help homeowners and renters have the financial protection they need if a house fire strikes, which can cause a substantial amount in damages and losses. Contact our Aegis office at 713-850-7622 for more information, or fill out our online form to request a free quote.

Call Us TODAY!
713-850-7622

Get a Free & No Obligation Quote Today

CAPTCHA
This helps prevent automated spam submissions.